Monday, October 6, 2014

Pompeii No.31: The Transom's Central Panel


In my last posting, I mentioned that I was going to paint my dining room's transom to look like the top of a triumphal arch. The little drawing above illustrates the effect I want to achieve in terms of a wider central panel and two smaller panels.


Here are three Roman triumphal arches, and in each of them you can see that the top's center plaque is equal to the width of the actual arch, plus its adjacent columns (It's interesting that there seems to have been a design rule, but then it's an obvious way to aesthetically divide the space.).

The arches, from top to bottom and in the order they were erected, are the Arch of Titus, Rome, circa 82 A.D.; the Arch of Trajan, Benevento, circa 117 A.D.; and the Arch of Constantine, Rome, 315 A.D.
sources, from top to bottom: tours-venice-italy.com  |  ancientrome.ru  |  studyblue.com

click to enlarge
For my central panel, I've chosen a bas relief that's filled with Roman symbolism, though it was actually designed for a post office in Hartford, Connecticut. I've made some detail changes to the original design, but they're very minor.

I start out by outlining the design, then paint light medium tones. I then work into the darker tones, and finally add any highlights.

click to enlarge

In my next posting, I'll be filling the left niche, and what I put there will quite possibly be the major theme of the Pompeii Room. I hope you'll join me then!
.

19 comments:

  1. Hello Mark, O for the days when the work of the Post Office conjured up such noble symbolism and grandeur. All these positive associations are now more suited to your Pompeian room. The motifs tie in well to their new placement in a dining room, historically the location for weapons and realistically-carved hunting trophies. Those sharp talons on the eagle, not to mention the arrows, take us right back to the Victorian era!
    --Jim



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim,

      I am guessing that this panel might have originally been a WPA project, though I don't have the artist's name or the date. I'm not even sure that the panel went beyond the plaster model from which I borrowed. But who would not approve of this project?!

      Delete
    2. Hi again, Thoughts of the WPA flashed through my mind when I saw the panel. I love the Art Deco eagle's wings and other details infusing the Beaux-Arts composition.

      Delete
  2. Really beautiful composition Mark - clicking the image reveals all the intricate details that you have managed to successfully weave into the panel - p.s. thank you for your email reply which I found interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,

      I don't know how it is in the UK, but over here we just don't see this degree of detail on new public buildings anymore. And to add to that — at least locally — I notice that buildings are getting torn down when they reach the ripe old age of 40! We live in a disposable age when even architecture is disposable!

      Delete
  3. Many handsome elements! The symbol of the wreath around the eagle is so powerful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Loi,

      In my research for reference, I've discovered that eagle within the wreath is a very popular motif on older public buildings.

      Delete
  4. Mark I am so amazed and excited by your work of art!

    xoxo
    Karen
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karena,

      Thanks for enjoying the progress — more to come!

      Delete
  5. This is so perfect Mark. I love the detail of it and happy that you can give this design a new place to live. I don't know how you contain yourself when you enter this room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Theresa,

      You can probably understand better than most that since this is a work in progress, when I enter this room, I'm usually visualizing what is yet to be done and how it will look. As the room becomes closer to completion, the visualization is easier and now centers more on furnishings and lighting.

      Delete
  6. Hello Mark, we recently took a trip into the Hudson River Valley. Poughkeepsie has a post office on the National Register of Historic Places built in the thirties by the W.P.A. I was so impressed with its grandeur and understand now how a post office could inspire your transom design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Barbara,

      Those W.P.A. projects also provided a lot of fine Art Deco sculpture. I find it interesting how Art Deco and Neoclassism often intersected, and one can see that often in New York and Los Angeles. (I mention those two cities because I have Art Deco books on each of them.)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful, Mark. I love your choices - you haven't hit a dud yet. This is going to be such a fantasy come true for you. Not many people can ever get to say that or, for that matter, do that. What I love best is all the thought and work you have put into this dream of yours. Not to mention, the talent - well, that goes without saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yvette,

      Thank you so much for your comment! You must know that being able to unveil this for someone as appreciative as you sustains me every bit as much as my own private enjoyment does!

      Delete
    2. Wow! The details are just so stunning!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Stacey! It's always in the details, details, details!

      Delete